10400 Gorman Road | Laurel | MD 20723
Mon - Fri • 9:00 - 9:00
Sat - Sun • 9:00 - 6:00
A fun and relaxed place to learn how to ride horses.
Barn closed until further notice. No lessons or visitors.
Thank you for understanding. CHC
Tuesday, 12/31: Barn Closed, No Lessons (Happy New Year)
Wednesday, 1/1: No Lessons, Practice Rides at 11:00 & 12:00
Stop wishing, start doing!
Pony Pal | Children | Adult
Beginner - Advanced
Ages 5 - 95
Group | Semi-Private | Private
Daytime | Night | Weekend
Home School Sessions
Professional and caring staff.
Well trained school horses.
Clean and organized facilities.
Conveniently located near
Routes 95, 29, and 32.
Saturdays at 1:00
Want to try us out before signing up for lessons or camp?
$20.00 PER PERSON
Arrive by 12:45. Limited space.
No more then two per
family or group.
Minimum age of 5 to ride.
Receive $20 voucher toward lessons.
Come play with the ponies!
Summer | Winter | Spring
Day At the Barn
Open to ages 5-15.
All level of riders.
Ride two times a day.
Horse related lectures.
Hours 9:00 - 4:00
Before & after care available.
Time to ride and socialize!
Want more riding time?
Want to go to more horse events?
For a quarterly fee,
you can join Equi-Lease!
Lots of time in the saddle and several social events to attend!
Limited and unlimited packages.
Join us for a fun day of showing!
Looking for fun and low-key shows to take your horse or rider to?
Our shows are inviting and a great atmosphere for competitors just starting out and veterans looking to school their horses.
Our experienced staff is helpful, professional, and friendly.
Happy horse, happy rider.
Picking the right place to board your horse can be a tough.
Assuring their happiness and well being are important.
We understand that horses are our best friend, our pet, and our partner in crime.
Their care means the world to us and it is our mission to provide the best service for you and your horse.
|• Experienced & friendly staff
• Feed, hay, and water
• Stall cleaning
• 12 x 12 stalls
• Turn out
All boarders are required to take lessons.
Columbia Horse Center has been around for many generations. We always enjoy seeing mom's come down the driveway with their daughters, telling them stories of when they rode with us as a kid. Being part of the community is important to us and knowing that we offer a safe and fun place for the next generation to learn how to ride horses is very rewarding. Getting positive feedback from our students reminds us that we are on the right path and continuing to make dreams come true. We are thankful to all of our students over the years and can't wait to teach the grandchildren of our original students. We are honored for being a staple of the Columbia area over the years.
Thank you to everyone that took the time out of their busy schedules to write and let us know how much you enjoyed riding with us.
• My daughter attended a horseback riding introduction course with er Girl Scout's troop. Our lead instructor was Sarah and she was absolutely amazing! She was patient, thorough, kind, and made us all feel so welcome. It takes a lot to work with children and especially with such large beautiful animals like the horses. She introduced us to the horses and demonstrated how to properly handle a horse. She discussed with us the way a horse communicates as well with the way it's ears may appear. The other instructors that came to help with the other horses were so kind, friendly, and patient. All of the horses looked happy, well taken are of very beautiful hair and just so loving. I would definitely recommend taking your child or even as an adult to this center. We will definitely be returning for another class. Such a wonderful experience on this beautiful 67 degrees day! We felt truly blessed.
Tai - 11/19 (Yelp)
• My Daughter has been riding here weekly for over a year. She and I both love it. Horses are clean, happy, and well cared for. She has improved her riding and taught safety skills. Always a helping hand to get her horse ready. We did summer camp and she loved it!! She got in two rides per day and learned a lot about caring for her horse.
Jenn - 8/19 (Google)
• Awesome place, very friendly & nice!! The horses are super sweet too!
Katie - 5/19 (Facebook)
• I rode here for 3 years, and it truly is a fantastic place to learn and ride. Smokey is, and will forever, be best boy.
Unknown - 2/19 (Google)
• A good lesson barn.
Jay - 12/18 (Google)
• I recently started lessons with Cassie at the Columbia Horse Center after more than 20 years out of the saddle. I have LOVED the CHC so far - everyone has been super helpful and the horses are lovely too. Cassie is a wonderfully encouraging instructor and I'm looking forward to many years of being a part of this great community!!
Kris - 11/18 (Facebook)
• Awesome place. My kids had a great experience. We are coming back for lessons.
Nina - 11/18 (Google)
• I have been riding here for six years and the horse featured in my picture is an amazing horse named Scooby! Very organized and kind staff!! Everybody knows everybody!! 24/7 staff always there, and so many choices to show and ride!! I am also a working student, and I am the youngest one they've ever had!! I started working when I was 9, now I am turning twelve! It's my favorite place to be!!
Frankie - 10/18 (Google)
• An amazing place to learn to ride. I've been riding their for 6 years and love it. Never had a bad experience. Highly recommend for beginners wanting to learn about horses and ride.
Jade - 9/18 (Google)
• I have been riding here for about 3 years and I really enjoy it here. I started with adult group lessons with Carolyn, who is wonderful. She takes time to plan lessons that are fun and educational. When I've had make up lessons with other instructors, they have been great too. More recently, I have done private lessons and the Equilease program, which have been great for progressing my riding skills and giving me more time with the horses. There is a huge selection of awesome horses, great facilities with indoor and outdoor rings and trails, and shows on site. My experience here has been great.
Melanie - 8/18 (Google)
• Beautiful facilities and friendly staff. The horses are very well cared for. They have lovely horse shows several times a year!
Ashley - 8/18 (Google)
• Seems like a nice place. I took the introductory lesson and the horses and staff felt really welcoming and friendly.
Unknown - 8/18 (Google)
• My sibling takes lessons here and he is having a blast! The teachers are extremely friendly and he has made many friends. It's a little pricey, but worth it.
Lelechan - 7/18 (Google)
• I went last year and they taught me so much.
Meghan - 7/18 (Google)
• I think that the Columbia Horse Center is a really good place for kids to go if they want to be around horses all the time.
Brianna - 6/18 (Facebook)
• Stopped in to get some info on riding lessons. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I was introduced to the stable's horses and invited back to a trail lesson. I plan to go back for the lesson and maybe for more. Very nice place.
Gail - 4/18 (Facebook)
• My girls have been riding here for about a month now. We love the option for homeschool group lessons and the staff has been incredibly friendly. The facilities are clean and organized and the school horses are very mild tempered. We are so happy here and I highly recommend it to new and more experienced riders alike.
Anne - 9/17 (Google)
• The teachers and lessons are amazing. The horses are sweet tempered and the people are very nice. It's very roomy for horse boarding and it's lots of fun. The summer camps are lots of fun and I know lots of people love it. I hope you have fun and enjoy!! :D
Clary - 9/17 (Google)
• My son has recently been begging me to go see horses at a farm. A Friend of mine was kind enough to recommend that I look into the Columbia Horse Center. She also said wonderful things, almost too good to be true, considering the bad experiences I'd previously had going to stables growing up. After a week of non-stop begging from my son, I decided the least we could do is drive by. We drove to the center and I decided it wouldn't hurt if we sat in the parking lot and watched the students riding. When we pulled up there was a nice little visitor viewing area right there at the parking lot. I took a chance and decided to sit there and watch with my son hoping not to upset anyone. To my surprise, not only were the other parents that were watching EXTREMELY kind and inviting, they were very nice to my 5 year old son who has a social delay. When the student riding closest to us came up with her horse (Melody, the horse I believe), the Instructor Kasia welcomed us with a smile as well and asked if my son would like to come pet the horse. I was completely delighted to see how kind just those few people we met were without questioning why we were there or telling us we needed to leave. My son was super scared of the horse at first, but they were so patient. The students mother was so kind to my son and was able to encourage him to pet the horse. Then Kasia told us we should take a walk down to the stables and if we were interested, to stop by the office to see Debra. We walked right in and were instantly greeted with a warm, polite smile by Debra. She gave me a paper with some information in regards to their Saturday intro lesson. While we were in the office to my delighted surprise again, another rider came up to my son and offered to show him the horses in the stables. He walked down the stables that has all the lesson horses and each and every one was super sweet. The mother who was sitting with us at the visitor pavilion was now in there with her daughter and offered to share some carrots with my son to feed the horses. He was thrilled, to say the least. Another sweet little girl no more than 10 was hanging out in there as well while her mother was there for a lesson. My son made friends with her and she also guided him around. When we got back to the front, we were once again greeted by Debra who kindly sat with me on the benches as my son and his new friend watched the evening classes outside in the ring. She then patiently took the time to show us around even more, going over the activities they offer that are available to my son and even myself. I used to ride when I was a child, but haven't been in over a decade. Debra was also kind enough to take my son into the private stables to show him her horse and feed him a treat. She told us anytime we'd like to come give the horses treats we were more than welcome to. We ended up turning a quick visit into a 2.5 hour visit. I was just beside myself at how kind and patient everyone was with not only myself, but my son, who has an extremely hard time siting still and paying attention. I would absolutely recommend this facility to anyone looking for a place to spend time with horses and learn. I cannot stress how kind, inviting, and PATIENT everyone was. This place is definitely a diamond in the rough and my son and I will absolutely make it a habit of visiting and hopefully taking lessons.
Paris - 8/25/17 (Facebook)
• Our son has never enjoyed anything more than coming here!!!
Tara - 8/8/17 (Facebook)
• My daughter attended her first week of horsemanship camp this week and absolutely LOVED it. I can't say enough about this horse center. The staff, horses, cleanliness, equipment, and upkeep of land far outweigh any other stable or center that I have looked at for my daughter to go to camp or have lessons.
Jamison - 7/22/17 (Facebook)
• Best time of my life and I will cherish those memories forever! Thank you for giving me those experiences!
Keryn - 5/2/17 (Facebook)
• The teachers and lessons are amazing. The horses are sweet tempered and the people are very nice. It's very roomy for horse boarding and it's a lot of fun and I know lots of people that love it. I hope you have fun and love it! :D
Clary - 1/17 (Google)
• My daughter and I had an amazing time here yesterday and can't wait to go back!!!
Kopaki, 11/13/16 (Facebook)
• My girls have been riding here for about a month now. We love the option for homeschool lessons and the staff has been incredibly friendly. The facilities are clean and organized and the school horses are very mild tempered. We are so happy here and I highly recommend to new and more experienced riders alike.
Anne - 11/16 (Google)
• My daughter finished her second year of a summer camp session here. She loved every day. The counselors were great and they always put on a cookout after the last day's performance.
Mia - 9/10/16 (Yelp)
• Good barn to take a lesson at and the horses are super cute and friendly too!
Megan - 9/1/16 (Facebook)
• Everyone is so kind. We have been riding here for years and will continue to do so.
Jesse - 6/16 (Google)
• Great lesson for first time riders. The instructors were very helpful and the horses were all very calm. Affordable as well.
Mike - 3/16 (Google)
• I have been riding here for 3 years now and I love it! Over those few years I have had a few different instructors and increased my riding from once a week to 4 times a week. (two lessons and 2 solo rides with the lease program). There is a wide variety of instructors and horses, and they've helped me improve my riding a ton. I haven't gone to any shows off property (so far just the in-house and on property schooling shows for me), but they do have show teams that trailer to shows and have special lessons together. They also have a lot of events for the kids and older riders to meet up and socialize. There is a Halloween Party (with a pretty extensive haunted house), a Christmas Party (Santa and Mrs. Claus in on horseback), a Beach Party and few others. The lease program also goes on trips together, recently to Gettysburg for a guided trail through the battlefield. I couldn't be happier with my choice of barns! It was originally a choice made because of the barn's proximity to my house, but I've grown to enjoy spending a large chunk of my free time there.
Liz - 1/6/16 (Yelp)
• LOVE IT!!!...6 years strong! Found my best 'Bubba' (Denver) here... going nowhere!
Angel - 12/30/15 (Facebook)
• My daughter Sara had an introductory lesson today and she was terrified once she was up on the horse. ALL of the staff members were simply amazing with her. They were kind and patient. Eventually she became less afraid and now she is asking when can we go back! Thank you so much for helping her overcome her fears. Grace Pisciotta Morris - 10/10/15
• My daughter attends Pony Pals classes (she's 7) and some of the camps. This is a wonderful place. Great instructors and horses.
Brenda - 3/17/14 (Yelp)
Laura - 2/2014
• So glad Howard County has managed to hold on to this icon. Great for families to have this fantastic facility available to them!
Stephanie Dayton Neely - 1/2014
• I have been riding at Columbia Horse Center for about a year and a half and I absolutely adore it! Started riding as an adult with no previous experience - they work with all ages and all skill levels. I have a great instructor and I love the horses here. No matter what kind of mood I'm in, I know when I leave CHC I will be in a good one. CHC has a great community feel - the facility is very nice, large and clean. The horses are well taken care of and in good hands. The staff is always friendly and helpful. So glad to have the barn so close to home! I highly recommend CHC if (or your kids) are interested in learning more about horses and riding.
Jackie Bach - 7/2013
• CHC is a great place to learn how to ride. They have a wide range of different horses too which is nice.
Alyssa - 10/2012
• We have love everything about CHC for the last few years since we started riding here. It has a great staff and awesome horses.
Cathy - 7/2012
• A Very well run business
Joyce - 7/2012
• I started here with taking a summer camp when I was 9 and ended up really liking it. Took two years of lessons and showed in dozens of schooling shows. I loved the instructors and horses. Several years later, I now ride upper level dressage in national shows and am riding under an internationally known judge. I can't help but say CHC helped get me to where I am today :)
Google User - 3/2012
• The CHC has been a terrific introduction to riding for our 7 year old daughter. She was in mourning when camp ended and is soon to go back for winter camp.
Larcia - 2011
• It's the best farm in Laurel!
Luiz - 2011
• My daughter took lessons here for three years and loved it. Now, our foreign exchange student does and also found a great teacher that is helping her improve her skills. Wonderful variety of horses to fit the needs of the students. People are also very nice and accommodating.
Google User - 2011
Thank you to all of our student's over the years.
Making dreams come true.
Thinking about giving riding lessons as a gift?
We can do packages or dollar amounts.
WHERE DREAMS COME TRUE!
|ABOUT US||LESSONS||PROGRAMS||CAMPS||CALENDAR||SHOWS||SHOW TEAMS|
|Contact Us||Introductory||Boarding||Adult||Clinics||Dressage Shows||Dressage Team|
|Staff||Pony Pal Group||Equi-Lease||DATB||Beach Party||Hunter/Jumper Shows||Event Team|
|School Horses||Child Group||Horse Sales||Horsemanship||Halloween Party||In-House Shows||Hunter/Jumper Team|
|Testimonials||Adult Group||Working Students||Pony Pal||Holiday Party||Timex
|Gallery||Semi Private||Summer||Practice Rides|
|Forms & Links||Home School||Winter||Preakness Party|